3 key factors to consider when sourcing furniture from China
What are the most important things to be taken into account when buying furniture from China?
Wholesale vs OEM furniture manufactures
When buying furniture from China there are two major options:
Wholesale factories normally have set quality standards and product specifications, so each piece of furniture is manufactured in accordance with them.
It is possible to make minor alterations in the design, such as adding your logo, changing color scheme or upholstery materials.
OEM manufacturers operate on a “make to order” scheme. The OEM process can be broken down as follows:
- The buyer provides the supplier with all the necessary details, such as design concept, material specifications, dimensions, applicable safety standards, and so on.
- The supplier manufactures a product sample for two reasons: First, to learn how to produce the product, and to show the buyer that they have the expertise to do it.
- Production begins. The supplier procures materials and components from its subcontractors. After this is done, assembly begins.
In short, the more details you provide the more accurate the end result will be.
Safety regulations for your country
Each country has different furniture regulations, which must be specified before placing an order. For example, in the European Union there are various compulsory fire safety requirements applicable to upholstered furniture, bedding and seats. Importing non-compliant items is illegal, and may, in a best-case scenario, result in fines and a forced recall.
Factory audit and market research
Factory audit is a must. It is the only way to verify whether a supplier is able to make a specific order according to your requirements. This service includes:
- Assessment of the production capacities and the technology level of the factory.
- Determining the degree of reliability and trustworthiness of the manufacturer as a possible business partner.
- Highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the factory production process.
Also, it is highly advisable to conduct market research. Knowledge of the current market situation and average prices for your product will help you avoid unnecessary expenses on options or features you do not need.
Even if the supplier refuses to negotiate the price, you will have alternative options consider.
More tips and advices for Amazon sellers
FBA Storage Update: ASIN-Level restock limits are gone Effective April 22, 2021, Amazon FBA products are no longer subject to ASIN-level quantity limits. Instead, restock limits will be set at the storage-type level. How are Amazon restock limits decided? Restock...
The cost of selling on Amazon FBA in 2021 We put together this guide on Amazon FBA fees in 2021 both for new and old sellers for reference. Monthly FBA Fees Monthly subscription for Professional selling plan - $39.99 Monthly Inventory Storage Fee Amazon charges a...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZXkFqK-6rw&t Choosing an Amazon FBA friendly 3PL company in the US In August 2020 Amazon introduced inventory limits for new products, which are still in effect. One of the possible solutions is to use the services of a third-party...